- an academically strong student?
- seeking a challenge 和 an opportunity to study your courses in greater depth? 和
- looking for an advantage when transferring to another college or university?
Then the BRCC 荣誉项目 might be just what you’ve been missing!
To be eligible for the BRCC 荣誉项目, current students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete at least 12 hours of college credit
- 资格 to take ENG 111 with no developmental component (i.e. ENF 3) or completion of ENG 111
- Recommendations from 2 Blue Ridge Community 大学 instructors
Students newly enrolled from high school must meet the following requirements:
- Top 10% of the student’s graduating class
- Minimum 1650 SAT score or minimum 24 ACT score or eligibility to take ENG 111 with no developmental component (i.e. ENF 3)
- 至少3.5 cumulative GPA in high school
对于所有其他学生, the 荣誉项目 Director will consider past academic performance, 生活经历, 和 other factors when a student applies to the 荣誉项目. The student must submit a letter outlining why he or she should be admitted to the program. 在这些情况下, acceptance is at the Honor Program Director’s discretion, 如果允许的话, will be a provisional acceptance until grades are posted at the end of the semester.
Apply to 荣誉项目
If you meet the requirements for acceptance, submit a completed Application for Admission to the 荣誉项目 Form to Dr. Reid Harris, 荣誉项目 Director.
Honors work takes place through Honors Contracts made with a faculty member in a class he or she is currently teaching. Students must be enrolled in the course to be eligible to do honors work in the course. Any student who qualifies for the 荣誉项目 can create an Honors Contract for any class (with the instructor’s partnership). Upon completion of the requirements of the Honors Contract 和 earning a grade of B or higher in the course, the student will receive Honors credit for the course. The actual Honors Contract is a short document prepared by the student in collaboration with the course instructor that changes the course into an Honors course.
To begin the process of creating an Honors Contract, the student will meet with the instructor before the course begins or shortly thereafter. When the instructor 和 student have agreed upon the terms of the Honors Contract, they should fill out an Honors Contract Proposal form. This form must be submitted to the 荣誉项目 Director by the fourth week of the semester.
老师经常, 但并非总是如此, agree to substitute the Honors Contract work for a significant course assignment or weight it heavily in calculating a final course grade. Honors work should be of special interest to the student 和 involve more time 和 effort than typical course assignments. While many Honors Contracts may involve writing a paper, this is not always required. Fieldwork or other assignments may be an appropriate basis for the project.
Recognition of Honors Work
All courses with Honors Contracts that the student completes with a grade of B or better will be marked as Honors courses on the official transcript. Students do not need to graduate from the 荣誉项目 in order to take courses with Honors Contracts; however, they must maintain a cumulative 3.2 GPA in order to be eligible to take Honors courses.
荣誉研讨会 (HUM 195 – 荣誉项目 Seminar – 2nd 8-weeks course)
Each fall 和 spring semester, a one-credit 荣誉项目 Seminar is offered during the second 8 weeks. Topics 和 projects will vary by semester. The course is offered on a pass/fail basis.
Graduates of the BRCC 荣誉项目 will receive special recognition at graduation 和 will have this distinction noted on their transcripts. To be eligible for graduation, students will:
- Complete 3 courses along with the Honors Contract requirements for the course
- Complete 2 eight-week 荣誉研讨会 (1 credit each)
- Submit the 荣誉项目 毕业 Application
- Graduate with a minimum 3.4累积绩点